Friday, June 18, 2010

Getting The Tools Ready

Since my next big step in understanding social networking and the technologies around it, I decided to update my current electronic tool set. I have to admit that a big part of this has nothing to do with the actual need for new or updated equipment, but its a perfect excuse for some new toys.

First I stayed up all night on the 14th to pre-order the new iphone, one for my wife as well. My current iphone is near death so I needed a new phone anyway. I was thinking about going back to Blackberry but Im hopping Apple/ATT have worked out all the kinks. Hopefully it will now work as a phone. A great new feature would be making/receiving calls with out constantly dropping them.

Next I was thinking about getting a new MacBook Pro. They have new ones with i5 and i7 processors, so sweet. Really mine is just fine so I looked up on the web for information on speeding up my Mac. There were allot of tips but I found two that made a BIG difference. I disabled the "Dashboard", I never use widgets anyway. Also I changed my Dock form 3D to a simple 2D, not glassy mirror effect. My computer is booting faster then the i7 now. Its amazing that you can find a answer to pretty much any question on the net.

I also took a trip to Fry's and splurged on some hardware upgrades. 2, 4GB sticks of RAM and a 1TB hard drive. This is double the RAM and space I currently have. I ran into some trouble restoring the new dive from my Time Capsule back up. Luckily the good people at my local Apple store are taking care of it for me, Ill be with out my Pro for the day but it will be worth it.

Another tool I bough a while back was a Business Card scanner from World Card. I can imagine living without it. I scans a image, processes the information into a V-card and enters it into my address book. The more I can utilize the available technology, the easier it will be to keep current. Again, this is another way to add value to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment