Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sifting through the BS

I dove in and Im working on schooling myself on all things social media. I stopped at the book store to pick up some magazines and books to inspire and educate. There were an insane amount of books about social media I grabbed about 10 of them that looked interesting. I found most of the books I was looking at were not the in-depth, how to books I was looking for. It was more about personal experiences and successes, and they were written very badly. Maybe its just how Im wired, but I wanted something informative and that I could use as a resource. Out of those 10, I ended up with 2 that I bought; "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Social Media" and "Get Seen, online video secrets to building your business". I also bought my standard magazines; Inc, Entrepreneur, and Mac Create. To be honest I think I get more out of the magazines then the books. Magazines have to keep creative to keep people buying and reading. Mac Create had allot of useful, creative ideas and how-to for video and photo which I think will really come in handy when I start to video blog.

What is great about Social Media is that allows everyone access to what people are really thinking. Eric Schwartzman had a great quote: "The news reports on what happened, social media is whats happening now". It also allows anyone to become a Journalist, Critic, or even Celebrity. The problem is, everyone is an expert, so you have to sift through allot of BS to get to the useful information. Also everyone is out to make a buck. Some do it by offering their service, or expertise for a price. Whether they are a consultant or author. Watch out there is more "snake oil" out there then people who truly have something worth while to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment